Sunday, January 03, 2010

Maly scores an awesome interview with Michael Phelps - best interview of the year!

Maly from France won a Speedo contest where she got to share a meal with Michael Phelps. She transcribed her interview into English. Also, isn't that an awesome photo? He looks extraordinarily accessible.

Here was my favorite part, it validates my bias that swimming is just as much an art as it is a science:

Maly: How about your experience with the straight arm recovery . Do you have an idea why it did not work out for you ?

Michael Phelps: I wasn't very comfortable with it . It was not as comfortable as my old technique. I was pulling les water than before (showing the two techniques). I had to use the the old method for the 200 free so ended mixing the 2 strokes . Switching between the two was hard for me . It very different for each swimmers , you have to be comfortable with your stokes . I am glad to be back to the old habit. Bob decided not to pursue the experiment , he likes to try new things but you have to be comfortable with your swim.

[Link]
By the way, her blog is better than mine. bookmark it!

5 comments:

maly said...

you are too kind , i wanted to ask more question about his swimming but as they were about the suit situation , speedo asked me not too . In a way it was better , mike was much more relax ! in another post i am getting corrected by my sister before posting , he reveals more things and i think he comes out like a funny and sarcastic guy . my sister who isn't a swim fan told me that she thougth he was like any students she had in Iowa when she was a french assistant there . he is a normal guy who did an incredible thing .

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting it - it's interesting.

maly said...

i just put the second part of the interview : http://dublincat.livejournal.com/9443.html

Tony Austin said...

I will link to it in a new post when I am free. (I am at work right now.) Hopefully you got lots of hits form me? :-)

Scott said...

Thanks for the Maly link Tony. I've been trying to get off this damn continent and see some non-American swimming blogs for some time now. Know of any more?