Sunday, January 31, 2010

Ana Marcela Cunha wins 'Maratona Internacional de Santos 10k Swim' - Chloe Sutton is once again on the podium!


UPDATE From Steve Munatones:


My fault, please accept my apologies. Chloe did not finish in the top 3. She was leading for the first 9K, but then fell back towards the end. Ana Marcela, the youngest swimmer at the 2008 Olympic 10K and a 5th-place finisher, out-sprinted two Italians for the top 3 finisher. Ana Marcela is the real deal and should continue to be a force in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.

Local "grrl" Chloe Suton flies to Brazil for the Maratona Internacional de Santos 10k swim and places third behind number one in the world, Larisa Ilchenko. Somebody I have never heard of, Ana Marcela Cunha wins it. Ana Marcela is on my radar now.

From The Water is Open:

Ana Marcela played her cards right, taking over after the last turn buoy with 1.1K to go from Olympic 10K champion Larisa Ilchenko and American Chloe Sutton under calm seas with no wind.

In the end, I sprinted to a two-body advantage and finally defeated the Olympic champion, Larisa. I always hit the limit, but this time I achieved my goal. Now I will prepare myself well for the World Championships in Canada where I am going to strive for a medal - as well as all the other World Cup races until October. I was not patedal, [patedal? --T.A.] and for all the other phases of the Cup of the World."

[Link]

1 comment:

Steven Munatones said...

My fault, please accept my apologies. Chloe did not finish in the top 3. She was leading for the first 9K, but then fell back towards the end. Ana Marcela, the youngest swimmer at the 2008 Olympic 10K and a 5th-place finisher, out-sprinted two Italians for the top 3 finisher. Ana Marcela is the real deal and should continue to be a force in the 2012 and 2016 Olympics.